The most important dates of the manufactory


Louis XV plans the creation of a manufactory for bladed weapons.

Bauyn d’Angervilliers, Secretary of State for War and former Intendant of Alsace, is entrusted with the foundation.


On 15 July 1730, the King gives Henri Anthès the order to found the manufactory.


Patent letter for: “L’établissement d’une Manufacture Royale d’Armes Blanches au service des troupes du Roy, et privilège pour trente années”.

1730 à 1735

Henri Anthès first entrepreneur of the Manufacture


Linked by an operating contract to Mackau d’Hurtigheim, the Sieur Weidmann and Abraham Peters.
Is raised to the peerage in 1731.

Henri d’Anthès dies in 1733, his son Jean Philippe follows him until 1735.

1735 à 1738

Entrepreneur Frédéric Wolff and Baron Mackau d’Hurtigheim


1738 à 1747

Entrepreneur Frédéric Wolff

1745: First upswing of the manufactory.

1748: Construction of the road from Klingenthal to Obernai.

1747 à 1753

Entrepreneur Jean Philippe Richshoffer

Guardian of the minor children of Frédéric Wolff.

1753 à 1765

Entrepreneur Lucien Jacques Maupetit

1755: Visit of the Marquis de Paulmy, minister of Louis XV.

1761: Construction of the St Louis Chapel.


1765 à 1784

Entrepreneur  Louis Antoine Gau and Jean Daniel Oesinger

Renewed upswing of the manufactory, production exceeds that of Solingen.

Mr Gau is renamed
Gau de Voves.


1784 à 1797

Entrepreneur François Perrier

Time of the French Revolution, the manufactory receives the name: “Manufacture Nationale d’armes de Guerre” (National Manufactory of War Weapons).

1797 à 1801

Entrepreneur De Bizy

1801 à 1836

Entrepreneurs Jacques and Julien Coulaux

Julien Coulaux is an entrepreneur on behalf of his brother, who founds the “Manufacture d’Armes à Feu de Mutzig” (Firearms Manufacture) in 1803.

1804: “Manufacture Impériale d’armes blanches” (Imperial Manufacture of Bladed Weapons).

1805: Visit of Prince Joseph Napoleon Bonaparte.
1806: Gold medal for Klingenthal weapons, exhibition in Paris.
1815: Return to the monarchy (Restoration). The manufactory is renamed “Manufacture Royale” again.
1825: The Coulaux brothers win the competition for the steel material for cuirasses and receive the exclusive right to manufacture.
1828: Construction of the Protestant temple.
1830: Decision to close the manufactory.
1835: Last government order for breastplates.

1838 à 1840

Auction of the manufacture of blank weapons and takeover by Julien Coulaux, who entrusts the company to his son Julien.

“Coulaux Ainé et Compagnie” company

1840 à 1887

Owner Charles Louis Coulaux

Second son of Julien Coulaux.


Company “Coulaux et Compagnie” Charles Louis Coulaux takes over the management of the factories in Klingenthal, Molsheim, Mutzig and Gresswiller.

1840: Production of scythes and sickles begins.
1850: Start of manufacture of florets and fencing swords.
1866: Manufacture of the sabre bayonet mod. 1866 for the Chassepot rifle produced in Mutzig.

1887 – 1925

Owner Julien Coulaux.
Son of Charles Louis Coulaux.


The Coulaux family business becomes a limited company with headquarters in Montbrisson (Loire) and general management in Paris.


Company ” Coulaux et Compagnie S.A. “.
The Ateliers et Forges de Firminy, now Marine-Firminy, own the majority of the shares.


On 1 February 1962, the last hammer in Klingenthal is closed.